Friday, August 08, 2008

"A Christmas Story" moment

You know the classic scene in the movie...the one where the kids dare each other to lick the flag pole, then one poor sole does it and finds out just how bad it can be?

Here's our family's version.

We were at the grocery store, trying to get just a few things before biking back home. Michael, was looking over the ice cream selections trying to make a decision, while I went across the aisle to find frozen orange juice.

I was holding Kenna while searching for juice. We found it and she asked to hold it. I knew if I didn't give it to her she'd just keep asking. What harm could come from her holding the orange juice? Sure she may drop it, but that isn't so bad, it's frozen. So, I of course obliged her; I handed it over, and headed back to Michael.

About 3 seconds later, Kenna let out a yowl. When I looked at her, I couldn't figure out whether to be alarmed or only amused. She had licked the metal lid of the frozen orange juice. She was pulling it away from her mouth with all of her might! I can tell you that human tongues are very elastic. Hers stretched much beyond what I could have imagined.

Trying to convince her that putting it closer to her mouth would make it better, was not the easiest thing to do. We did eventually pry her tongue off of the lid.

Lesson learned: Maybe handing over the orange juice is not the safest idea.

No comments: