Friday, December 15, 2006

Most needed baby-item

When I was pregnant with Morgan, I often wondered what items other parents just couldn't live without. Sometimes I asked. Often the suggestions turned out to be things that I look upon as convenience items, but not "must haves." Now that I am an experienced mom, I have my own "must haves" list. The only item on the list that you can purchase is a sling.


The sling I use is a Maya Wrap ring sling. There are other sorts of versatile carriers available. I would recommend any of them you can find at Mother Nurture in Lexington. It is by far the one baby-care item that I can't live without. I used it frequently when Morgan was a tiny baby, and even more when she was a bigger baby. Although less so, I still carry her in it now on occasion - like last week when she was sick. It is just much easier to lug a 30 pound child around in a sling than it is to use my arm muscles. The sling also allows me to keep both hands free to do other things. This aspect of the sling can't be overemphasized.



I use the sling pretty much constantly now. It is part of my daily wardrobe - it's far more important than a bra or underwear. With Kenna in the sling, I am still able to help Morgan get un/dressed, go pee, throw-up, cook (although the label clearly states not to do this), push a stroller, etc. You get the idea, with the sling it is almost like I am still pregnant instead of carrying a baby around in one arm while trying to do everything else one handed.

No comments: