Sunday, January 21, 2007

Traveling for work

This weekend I took my first business trip for my new job. Luckily the colleague that I share an office and the rental car with really likes babies (that or she fakes it really well). My co-worker was really understanding about Kenna joining us for the trip. She didn't mind the stops to feed Kenna, the (short lived) crying during the middle of her workshop presentation, or the distraction caused by a cute baby in a room full of women.

Kenna was a great traveler. We had to drive 5 hours to get to Paducah. She spent an entire day in a workshop and then spent another 5 hours in the car. All in all it was not much of a baby-fun trip, but she did not complain at all. I think she only cried twice - both involved changing her diaper when she was hungry.

The rest of the family stayed home for this trip since Mike already had a commitment with the Boy Scouts. I hope that they can join me for future trips so we can still have family time.

The job is going well so far. Kenna has gone to work with me almost everyday. I've found a great place to make milk. Instead of taking over the conference room to pump milk, I've found a furnished, but vacant office I can use. I share an office with two other folks; so, finding this office to use has been great. I can continue to check e-mail and work on my projects while making milk.

Morgan seems to really like going to "Ms. Margaret's" house. Margaret watches a couple of other kids and Morgan seems to get along with them and enjoys playing there. She even took a nap there the other day. I basically live in denial that Kenna goes there. I think she is being well cared for, but I still don't like the idea of her being taken car of by someone else (besides me or her dad). I cry about it some days more than others. If this position were a part-time job with the same benefits available (even if I had to pay more for them), I'd be much happier with the situation. As it is, I'm off to bed now so I can go into the office tomorrow morning before taking the girls to the library. I'm still trying to be an "at home" mom while working a full-time job.

No comments: