Thursday, June 28, 2007

Don't read the back of baby food ...

unless you really want to be freaked out by what they put into the food that is supposed to feed babies!

I can tell you (because I have read the back of the packages) that some of the wost processed and man-made ingredients find their way into baby-food. In addition to the huge number of things that you can't pronounce and you're sure you don't want to know what they are are the several kinds of sugary or sugar substitute products. Can some one please tell me why you need to add sugar to fruit? Is it just me or is there something inherently wrong with putting sugar into very naturally sweet food items.

Can you tell I'm smack in the middle of the "what the heck am I gonna feed this kid today" stage? She only has two bottom teeth, but she wants to eat everything in site. She likes me to spoon food into her mouth; she likes to pick up the pieces and eat it herself; mostly she just likes to eat. I just have a hard time figuring out what to fix her to eat everyday. I wish there were a few more good (healthy) options that didn't require prep work on my part. As many of you know I'm the queen of hunger, but the (what is opposite of "queen of something"?) not-queen of preparing meals or figuring out what to prepare. If I have a fixed menu in advance, I do OK, but the whole, walk into the kitchen and whip something up is just not my forte.

I like Morgan's age. She just tells me what she wants. The only problem with this approach is that she occasionally tells me something that we don't have on hand. I usually just find something and figure out a way to make it what she asked for. Although, she's getting wise enough now that if I tell her that we don't have something she tells me to go to the grocery store to buy it. :) I really love the almost 3 stage, really I do. :)

So, here's to hoping I make it through this stage with Kenna and eventually she tells me that she wants a mayonnaise sandwich or something equally appetizing. (If you're kid ever asks for it, don't tell them you'll give them turkey with mayonnaise on it. Just ask if they want turkey or roast beef on their mayonnaise sandwich. This tactic has saved me from several meltdowns.)

No comments: